by Iain Roberts on 6 September, 2018
Clare Forrest, Chair of the Gatley Village Partnership, writes:
Gatley Village Partnership – New Way of Working
First, thank you to our local councillors for allowing us to place this article in their newsletter.
GVP is the independent, non-political, community volunteer forum for Gatley. It’s where residents, community groups and businesses raise ideas and work together to take action.
But we need volunteers to sustain our events and projects. Commitment doesn’t have to be all the time or for everything. At the moment, very few people have offered their time and the leadership group cannot manage everything on its own. If we don’t receive more help then GVP will be forced to disband—which means no independent voice for our village.
Our new plan is to work everything on a project basis. For example, one resident has agreed to take on the regular litter picks for Gatley, recruiting volunteers, schools and other groups to take part throughout the year.
We have a number of projects on the go, none of which will happen unless we get more people coming forward. See the list below. If you can help or would like to take a lead on just one of these, or if you have an idea to help improve our village which you want to take forward, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
1. Tatton History booklet—editing information supplied by the last manager of the Tatton before it
2. WW1 Returners book and biographies. These have been written by our local historian John Hartley and need editing and designing for Gatley’s Peace Day on November 10.
3. Placing ‘Tommies’ silhouettes around the village for Peace Day. We have been awarded ten of these
from the Covenant fund.
4. Articles about Gatley for local magazines — usually around 350 words bi-monthly.
5. Christmas Market and Lights Switch On. This year’s is December 2nd .
6. Sports Day—our annual family event.
7. Lifting and shifting— all events.
8. Late Night Opening— to persuade shop keepers to open one day a month in the evenings.
9. Peace Day—events including lunches, re-enactments and so on to commemorate the end of World War
One on November 10.
10. Disabled access and hard standing to the war memorial— organising the plans, planning permissions, fund raising and project management.
11. Lobbying Councillors, our MP, GMP, Northern and so on about issues which affect Gatley.
12. Media—Gatley Village Website, GVP Facebook page, Twitter and Instagram. Content and maintenance.
13. Bake Off —our annual bakingcompetition.
14. Litter Picks—volunteering to takepart.
15. Cleaning the war memorial.
16. Gatley History—obtaining sales outlets in the village for this new book.
Please join us. Thank you.
Clare Forrest. Chair. Gatley Village Partnership