Read more on this

Read more on this

RMT calls off strikes as Northern guarantees conductors on trains

by Iain Roberts on 7 February, 2019

The seemingly-eternal Saturday strikes over guards on trains look to be at an end, after Northern Rail guaranteed that all trains would continue to have a conductor until at least the end of the current franchise.

Train services will still be disrupted on Saturday 9 Feb, but should be back to normal on 16 Feb.

Northern had always said that the plan was to replace guards with conductors rather than to have no-one except the driver on the train, but the guarantee seems to have made the difference.

The story is covered widely in the media, for example with this in The Guardian.

   4 Comments

4 Responses

  1. Alan says:

    Only prevented from being solved months ago by this governments ideology and the fact it occurred in the north.

  2. John Hartley says:

    I don’t disagree with you, Alan. And what is even more ludicrous is that the Tories privatised UK railways only for Northern Rail to end up being owned by the German state owned railway. You couldnt make it up if you tried!

  3. Alan says:

    John we’re a German state. Most of our industry is now owned by Germany. We should have lost the war – at least we’d have got Rid of the upper class!!

    • Paula Isherwood says:

      Is this the reason why there is a larger gap between the train and the platform now? I haven’t used the train for ages – for obvious reasons – but went to Heald Green last week and had a surprise to see that there are notices on the train and the gap is certainly larger than it was.

Leave a Reply

You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>